Saturday, May 19

Rustic Irish Soda Bread


I have a really terrible track record with bread. Or, at least, if one previous experience the day after Christmas counts as a track record, then yes, it's terrible. I have a feeling it's my Achilles heel. It was the first thing I used my brand new KitchenAid for, which I ended up receiving two of. I talked Misters head off about it every time I mentioned baking - i.e. constantly - and my family knew it had been on my "wish list" for years. I ended up opening one from Mister on Christmas and the next one arrived a day later via FedEx from my insanely thoughtful family back home. Communication people. It saves money.

And as a side note let me take this one sided conversation as an opportunity to say I love my KitchenAid. My KitchenAid(s)? I would make shiny little candy apple red mixing babies with them if I could. The first thing I did after tearing the wrapping away was sit on the floor holding the box, crying tears of joy and clinging to it's arrival in my life. Sounds like I'm exaggerating but no, Im serious.

Pretty sure we cuddled in this position until sunrise.



So after taking the past half year to heal from that awful, awful, first bread experience I decided today was the day. Yes, it must have been a fluke! I followed the recipe to a t! Here's this great Tuesday with Dorie Irish Soda Bread with only four ingredients! Awesome! Let's go!

Jury isn't out quite yet but if the steps up until going into the oven is any glimpse into the near 30 minute future I don't think I'll be taking anything pretty out of the oven. I really do think it's me and something I'm doing, the dough was sticking to everything, completely unable to lend itself pliable enough to be kneaded. I gave up and stuck it in the oven after adding an extra cup and a half of flour with it unchanged, worried it would end up tough if I continued.

We hit the 30 minute mark. Yes, this is live blogging. The intensity! First impressions were not hopeful, it didn't get the beautiful crossed valleys on top and it looked seriously over floured (even though when I put it in it was still sticky as a jar of honey! How?!). But then, ooooh then, I decided to cut a shared trial piece to get Misters opinion; the inside was steaming and moist and the raisins gave it a sweet little note. I don't think this is the way it should have turned out, honestly, but it's a pass. And I want to share the recipe because I think others will have better luck than I do.

Now excuse me while I slather my third slice with butter, mmm.

This is actually an incorrect representation. I don't know how the tub of sugar made it's way in the photo. And as you can see I had to make my own buttermilk.




Irish Soda Bread
(found on MyCulinaryMission blog)

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups A.P. flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • optional addition: 1 cup of raisins or other dried fruits
Instructions:

Move rack to middle of oven and preheat to 375`F. Grease a 8 inch pie plate or baking sheet.
  1. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Add buttermilk and stir vigorously until dough comes together. Hopefully more stable than sticky like mine!
  2. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead carefully for a minute. Do not overwork the dough.
  3. Pat into a round disk about 6 inches wide and slash an x on top, 1/2 inch deep, with a sharp knife. Place in baking dish.
  4. Bake for 50 minutes or until the slash has widened and the bread has turned a deep gold. Transfer to cooling rack, then wrap in a moist towel until ready to serve. I didn't wait for it to cool completely before slicing, but it's suggested.
As for storing, the recipe says it lasts a few hours. Within a day or two it will "turn as hard as the Blarney Stone". Other blogs Ive read that have made this bread said keeping it in an air tight ziplock or freezing can make it last longer with the right reheating techniques - wrapping in very damp paper towel and microwaving or wrapping in foil and popping in the oven until warm.

Do you have a favorite no-fail bread recipe? Share in the comments below.

4 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog via foodgawker! OMG, I can totally relate with that image!!! LOL I really want a Kitchen aid, BADLY!

    Beautiful photography!!! Will be back again for another hit of yummy stuff!

    A Brit Greek
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by! I'm happy someone else understands my KitchenAid love. If you can I would definitely invest in one (or talk about it so much someone gifts you one just to shut you up!).

      Thank you! Hope to see you around again soon.

      Delete
  2. Love your post! I cannot imagine life without a KA; lucky girl to receive two! Thanks for the link back - that is kind of you. Being you like to bake so much you should join us over at TWD (Tuesdays with Dorie)baking group. We are baking through Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. You can find the group here: http://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress [dot] com.
    Happy baking! Enjoy your new KA!! :) - Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathleen! They really do make such a difference with baking; I'll never go back. I would love to join you all in the TWD group! I'll go check that out and hopefully I'll be baking alongside you soon. Happy baking to you as well! (:

      Delete